Date:      Thu, 5 Feb 1998 09:04:22 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Richard J. Kuhns" <rjk@grauel.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        brunell@uwplatt.edu.NOSPAM, Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Subject:   Re: Printing w/StarOffice 4.0

Doug White writes:
 > On Wed, 4 Feb 1998, Matt Brunell wrote:
 >
 > > Hi,
 > >   I've got FreeBSD 2.2.2-RELEASE and SO 4.0 and printing troubles.
 > >   I edited the Xpdefaults file in the xp3 directory like the support
 > > section of stardivision.com said to,
 > >   but all I get are the following errors from the xterm that I started
 > > SO from
 > >
 > >   cat: /tmp/0080cbaa: No such file or directory
 > >   lpr: stdin: empty input file
 > >   sh: uses: command not found
 > >
 > >   the filename in the first line changes every time I try to print.
 > >
 > > Anyone know whats going down?
 >
 > I haven't played with SO 4.0 yet (but intend to!), but it looks like
 > the printing system isn't set up right or there's something wrong with the
 > way SO is outputting data to print.
 >
 > Check the printer setup in SO.

Is SO running under the linuxulator, or is 4.0 a native binary?  If it's
a linux binary, this looks a lot like a problem I've had before.  See if
you have a tmp directory hiding under /compat somewhere; if you do, make it
a symbolic link to /tmp.

Actually, you may be able to remove it.  I've just checked two machines
around here, and one (the one SO 3.? is on) has /compat/linux/tmp (which
I've symlinked to /tmp), and the other (which has never had SO installed)
doesn't have it.

At any rate, SO is apparently saving the print file in what it thinks is
/tmp but is actually /compat/linux/tmp, so lpr can't find it.

Good luck.

--
Richard Kuhns			rjk@grauel.com
PO Box 6249			Tel: (765)477-6000 \