Date:      Mon, 5 Jan 1998 00:38:06 -0600 (CST)
From:      "James D. Butt" <jbutt@mwci.net>
To:        Atipa <freebsd@atipa.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [fbsd-isp] Designing for a very large ISP

> Well, think of a news server as a "big mail host". How many people use
> NFS on a news server? None that I am aware of.
>
> A PPro 200MHz can handle all the mail 3 T3's can dump on it. How much
> mail are we talking about? Storage may be an issue, but thats a whole
> different ball game.

Oshh... About a year ago or so we tested a BSDI 2.0 machine with sendmail
(It was a P120 with I forget how much ram) we tried to kill it will mail
to find out how much mail it could do....SMTP wise.. We figured that at
15,000 users or so that we would have the server maxed out during some
periods of the day.. If I remember right the machine had slow disks..
We did all sorts of calculations based on our mail at that time..

I guess that it is possible... Hmmm that gives me something to think
about.. We have noticed that the performance of FreeBSD is a bit better
than BSDI 2.0..

What about UID's what is the max number of users you can throw on one
system??

> That's what DATs are for. I know what you mean, though. You want a system
> you set up and NOT WORRY ABOUT. Our NFS server has had in excess of 250
> days uptime, but I am not doing anything fancy on it. It is exporting NFS
> and samba, and I have not had ANY lockups, freezes, or corruptions so far
> (knock on wood!).

We had a BSDI server at 400 some days and then we had a nic go bad (real
strange)..

> I still think you can avoid NFS if you want to. I also think FreeBSD's NFS
> kicks the shit out of Linux's for speed, reliability, and security. I
> give Kudos to the guys who have worked on it.

I will have to say that I am so impressed with FreeBSD... I just did not
realize...when we started looking at it. We have replaced all of out BSDI
and Linux boxes with FreeBSD and we are very very happy.

Way to go guys..

  James D. Butt 'J.D.'
  Network Engineer                                   Voice 319-557-8463
  Network Operations Center                          Fax   319-557-9771
  MidWest Communications, Inc.                       Pager 319-557-6347
  241 Main St.                                          noc@mwci.net
  Dubuque, IA  52001                                   jbutt@mwci.net