Date:      Sat, 25 Mar 1995 15:11:18 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freefall.cdrom.com>
To:        Steve Passe <fbsd@clem.systemsix.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: httpd as part of the system.

> I think there is (to be) a sgml2[info | tex] translator somewhere in
> the scheme (john f?).  It was decided (after MUCH discussion) that we
> could best go from sgml to whatever we needed...

As much as I'm a fan of info (historical reasons harkening back to my
ITS days, I suppose), I don't think that it's a very good overall
documention solution.  That pesky dir file requires updating everytime
you add another top level subject, rather than just being able to
place something in a directory and publishing the path to it, and
things quickly become unwieldy.

Also, as others have already said, info is somewhat arcane and really
aimed more at hackers than new users.  I'd be happy to see our SGML
stuff be formatted into BOTH formats (since I'm an info user myself)
with some creative solution for the dir file, but I wouldn't want to push
it as the #1 solution.

					Jordan