Date:      Thu, 27 May 1999 13:14:56 +0000
From:      rfogle <rfogle@sirinet.net>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Bridge Prob

Help!!  I'm trying to set up a 100baseT->10baseT bridge utilizing
FreeBSD for obvious reasons, and I'm running into stumbling blocks.  I
was using dual tulip 21143's for this, and I couldn't get it to work.
I read the tulip driver code and it stated that 21140 was supported, so
I dug up dual 21140's, still nada.  What I _really_ need is bridging
with filtering capabilities; I have a shop with a 10+ box network going
to our forward provider's gateways; one gateway is for dynamic IPs and
the other for static.  Can't masq/nat the packets, we need the ability
to assign static IPs from our forward to our LAN when the need arises.
Normally, a bridge would be perfect, but I also need the filtering
capablities to keep other subnets out.  I had a bridge working under
linux for awhile, worked great, but no filters.  This made me look
elsewhere, and it eventually made me try new things and now I'm running
my servers, except for my news, on FreeBSD.  The performance is quite
noticable, and I even put FreeBSD 3.1 on my laptop with pleasant
results.  I'm very happy so far, but this prob is causing late hours and
major headaches, anyone have something similiar?  I know that a bridge
works or it doesn't, just a sysctl line with the option in the kernel,
but I can't !#$#! figure this out.  Right now i'm maintaing connectivity
using natd for masqing on FreeBSD 3.1.   What other information do
I need to post?  Do I need to upgrade to 3.2?

Richard Fogle
rfogle@sirinet.net
TCS
Network Administrator