Date:      Wed, 8 Jan 2003 10:13:16 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@ambrisko.com>
To:        Sebastian Morana <sebastian@comtechmobile.com>
Cc:        ambrisko@freebsd.org, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: sdcc-2.1.9

Sebastian Morana writes:
| I would like to know if there are any attempts to update the ports of
| sdcc. The current version of sdcc on sourceforge.net is 2.3.0. There is
| also CVS version which is even higher.

But does it work?  Sdcc is a beast.  Look at all the prior patches
I did in the port and then the build is pretty bad.  That is,
the build will build and only parts of it will succeed and install
but it will say everything is fine.  Then when you try to use
is things break.  I've had a few people say just update to version
X but that doesn't work.  If the compiler doesn't build working
code then it is pointless.

Now things are getting a lot better with sdcc.  I like it in that
I can build 8150 code on BSD and not have to use DOS.  I needed it
for the Entrega/Keyspan firmware.  So I made it work.  Unfortunately
in various version of FreeBSD -stable the USB stack has trouble with
lots of sort transfers cause the FreeBSD hub controller to shutdown.
Seems to work fine under -current though.

So if you updated the port to a working sdcc I can commit it.

And yes there have been attempts to update it but I ran into bugs
and then ran out of time hoping that in the future they would get
fixed.

Also now that my day job doesn't need it I can't put work time into
it.

Don't let this discourage you from building and testing it.

Doug A.