Date:      Wed, 05 May 1999 09:22:30 -0400
From:      Spamoff <Spamoff@tampabay.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   directing the port skeleton to ftp through proxy-server  (I think that's right ???)

Doug White wrote:

> On Tue, 4 May 1999, Spamoff wrote:
>
> > Helo again.
> >
> > Just did my first port and it worked...off the cdrom.
> >
> > I go through a proxy-server.
> >
> > I know how to do it manually, but I want the port skeleton  'thingy'  to go and
> > get the latest version from the site. So I need to change the location ever so
> > slightly.
>
> In what way?

O.K - let me explain.. apologies if you already know how to pass through a
proxy-server.

Normal ftp route for is ftp ftp.freebsd.org

The skeleton tries to find the file by doing a similar thing.

Proxy-server is different.

To get out I do this.

ftp 192.168.0.2      # That's my gateway address to the Proxy-server

When it responds, THEN I enter

anonymous@ftp.freebsd.org

Then I connect.

The main thing is...I have to initiate the connection to the proxy server first
by
doing ftp 192.168.0.2.

If I use wxftp, I have to do the following.

Host name/address :-   192.168.0.2

User ID :-  anonymous@ftp.freebsd.org

Password:-     me@here.com

Again the critical part is the first. Having the skeleton try and go direct to
ftp.freebsd.org is going to fail...it has to go to the proxy-server (in my
case,
192.168.0.2) first.

I hope that's clearer.

Anyway, just like it can check the cd-rom (if mounted) first, surely there is a
place I can modify the script.

Any ideas ???

> Doug White

Regards...Martin