Date:      Thu, 1 Oct 1998 22:51:25 -0500
From:      Zach Heilig <zach@gaffaneys.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au>, Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fetch -p

On Fri, Oct 02, 1998 at 01:01:23PM +0930, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> Yes, this was actually my point; on a 14.4k modem without compression I should
> be getting about 1.4k/s throughput. The figure I got was 16% higher than this
> just on the downloaded data transfer speed, and PPP adds extra overhead for
> the protocol (compressing the file by a further 16% is no mean feat :-).
>
> Getting transfer rates of this speed and higher is commonplace for text
> transfers which can be easily compressed, but this is the first time I'd
> noticed an already-compressed data stream coming in that fast (which is what
> makes me suspicious).

I heard a rumor that the modem <-> phone <-> modem was a syncronous
connection.  In this case, there would be only 8 bits, no start or stop bits.
a 14.4K connection would then have raw data rate of 1.8K/sec.  This would tend
to make sense, since I commonly average 3.0K-3.3K/sec connected at 26.4K or
28.8K (3.3K or 3.6K/sec raw data rate).

--
Zach Heilig -- zach@gaffaneys.com
  A horse without a nose... never wins. (unknown)