Date:      Wed, 28 Jun 2000 15:53:38 +0200
From:      Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>
To:        Robert Haas <rhaas@nextemps.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: install problems

Probably you got a bad disk. Check if the MD5 checksums of your disk
images match, if neccessary re-download the kern.flp and mfsroot.flp
images. Create two new floppies, using two new disks -- recently, I got
lots of bad floppies out of the box.

Robert Haas wrote:

> I'm attempting to install FreeBSD on one of the PCs in my office.  I made
> 4.0-RELEASE boot disks using kern.flp and mfsroot.flp.  When I boot the
> kern.flp disk, I get the following:
>
> FreeBSD/i386 bootstrap loader, Revision 0.7
> (root@monster.cdrom.com, Mon Mar 20 21:05:31 GMT 2000)
> /kernel text=0x1d581e data=0x24c60+0x1a718 zf_read: fill error
>
> elf_loadexec: archsw.readin failed
> can't load module '/kernel': input/output error
>
> It then appears to try again, and fails with essentially the same error
> messages.  I then get the "ok " prompt.  I kind of presume that this is
> all due to some kind of problem zero-filling the kernel BSS, but I am
> more or less at a loss as to what would cause such a problem.
>
> Pointers to the appropriate documentation/mailing list, or suggestions, would
> be *greatly* appreciated.

http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/
http://www.freebsd.org/faq/

HTH
-Christoph Sold

--
i-clue GmbH, Endersbacher Str. 57, D-71334 Waiblingen
Fon: (0 71 51) 9 59 01-12,  Fax: (0 71 51) 9 59 01-55