Date:      Sat, 15 Aug 1998 00:08:22 +0200
From:      Stefan Esser <se@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "B. Richardson" <rabtter@aye.net>, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Stefan Esser <se@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ncr:2: ERROR (0:18)

On 1998-08-13 21:33 -0400, "B. Richardson" <rabtter@aye.net> wrote:

> I am jinxed. I fought the "Timed out while idle" with and adaptec 3940
> for a month and finally ditched it a day before Justin posted the
> sequencer file and got a Diamond Fireport 40. Played with
> termination/cables for weeks  with a 2.2 6/29 snapshot. Reinstalled
> 2.2.5 (had a CD handy) with the Diamond Fireport 40, ran some
> bonnie test for a few hours, and put my cacheing server live today.
> After about 8 hours this happens (chunks of dmesg output below).
> Lovely error message is after Drives/controllers.

> ------- Lovely error message ------------
>
> ncr0:2: ERROR (0:18) (1-21-302) (10/9d) @ (script 6cc:19000000).

SIST = 0x18 => Gross Error + Reselected by Another Device

The "Gross Error" condition is what caused the transfer to
fail. Seems there is some electrical problem, or the Viking
violates the SCSI protocol. The conditions that set the
Gross Error bit in the SCSI Interrupt Status Register are:

1) Data Underflow (more data requested by target than available)
2) Data Overflow (more data sent by target than expected)
3) Offset Underflow ([target mode only, does not apply])
4) Offset Overflow (target exceeded max. sync. offset)
5) Phase Change (with outstanding synchronous offset)
6) Residual data (data left over in sync. FIFO)

All these conditions are most probably caused by a lost REQ
or ACK. In order to exclude case 4) you could try patching
the NCR driver to negotiate a lower "offset". The bus phase
seems to have been DATA IN, which corresponds to the NCR
command "MOVE TABLE" with DATA IN bus phase (0x19000000).

Everything I see indicates, that there is handshake problem
on the SCSI bus.

Regards, STefan