Date:      Sun, 06 Oct 1996 22:57:04 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        BRETT_GLASS@infoworld.com, scsi@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with Adaptec EISA twin SCSI?

>> You can, but some of your userland utilities may not work (ps, w, mountd,
>> etc).  You'll definitely be able to at least boot single user.
>
>Hmmm. Could be painful. But I don't want to wipe out configuration I've done
>on the system either. I've changed rc.serial, crontab, inetd.conf, namedb,
>the latest version of sendmail, all of the utilities I've added to
>/usr/local/bin, etc. How could I upgrade without losing all of this?
>
>--Brett

Why do you think that upgrading would cause you to lose all this?  FreeBSD
will not touch /usr/local/bin unless you install a port.  It will also
not touch /etc unless you explicitly ask it to by going into /usr/src/etc
and doing a make install.  As for sendmail, yes, doing a make world will
clober sendmail, but probably with the same version you're using right now
(unless you decided to be experimental and use 8.8).

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations