Date:      Tue, 20 Dec 94 21:29 CST
From:      steve@simon.chi.il.us (Steven E. Piette)
To:        hackers@freebsd.org, jkh@time.cdrom.com
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Don't scream..

> Subject: Don't scream..
> Date: Sat, 17 Dec 1994 19:17:56 +0000
> From: "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
> Sender: hackers-owner@freebsd.org
>

> I therefore put it to you, the members of -hackers and -current,
> whether or not you'd care to see (wait for it)..
>
> 		FreeBSD 2.0.5!
>
> [Aiieee!!]
>
> I've talked to both Poul-Henning Kamp and David Greenman about this,
> and we all think that a snap-shot of FreeBSD-current under the
> brand-name (and version) of 2.0.5 is quite possible, and perhaps even
> eminently desirable.  Sure, there will be some bugs in -current.
> There were also some pretty _embarassing_ bugs in 2.0R, like the one
> that allows you to change anyone else's password, or the install
> floppies from hell that only supported the CD installation method.
> I'm sure anyone reviewing the commit logs between 2.0R and 2.0C can
> find others.  What we need to determine is which bugs are _worse_.
>
> Assuming that Poul-Henning and I can pull this off tomorrow, and we're
> pretty sure that we can, the question still remains: "Should we?"  If
> we don't, then the world doesn't end, it just means that we skip
> remastering and only change the bogus artwork.  If we do, then it has
> to be done by Monday morning before the parcel goes off to the
> printer/duplication house.  If we do change it, then the artwork will
> also be changed to read "2.0.5" (January 1995 :-).
>
> Thanks!
>
> 					Jordan

As I think Nate suggested, I would suggest the right thing to do is this:

Fix the really bad bugs in 2.0R like the install floppies, pppd and whatever
in the 2.0R tree and re-release as 2.0.1R. Ask WC to trash existing stock.

Releasing -current without any formal testing smacks of something SunSoft
might do (I'm entitled to that crack, right Jordan (:-)) I get the idea
from following the lists that there a much greater risk involved in using
-current.

Steve