Date:      Thu, 27 Aug 1998 17:40:25 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@rucus.ru.ac.za>
To:        Steve Friedrich <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>, "flygt@sr.se" <flygt@sr.se>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: building ports thru a firewall

On Thu 1998-08-27 (09:23), Steve Friedrich wrote:
> Besides, some of these newer mailers have some really cool features,
> even if your older mailer doesn't support them, such as html
> formatting.  This is way cool.  Are you guys throwing stones at it
> merely because your mailer doesn't support that feature ??  Shame on
> you.  You remind me of senile citizens.

I think most of us use console-mode mailers, simply because they're faster
and easier to use than their graphical equivalents.  We further don't need
HTML formatting in our mails, we can express ourselves pretty well with
words, most of the time, and if we really wanted HTML formatting to express
something, we'd give a URL to a web page, since that is where HTML belongs.

> Instead of whining about the newest features, you should try to
> incorporate these into unix programs and do them at least one better.

Incorporating HTML formatting into a text-mode client is rather silly, for
the most part.  Incorporating HTML formatting into a graphical client would
be a much better idea, and there is work being done in this area.  For now,
however, I think that when we, as FreeBSD users, talking amongst ourselves,
and with people interested in our Operating System (and it's an amazing one,
at that), we'd prefer to talk in words and not a whole bunch of tags telling
us what colour backgrounds to use, or text colouring and effects to produce.

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner
nbm@rucus.ru.ac.za