Date:      Wed, 20 Jan 1999 11:51:49 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To:        Stan Brown <stanb@awod.com>
Cc:        Free BSD Questions list <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: named questions

On Tue, 19 Jan 1999, Stan Brown wrote:
> 	i want to run named in secondary mode, and add a machine or 2 to the
> 	DNS at work. Obviously this will only work for machines that use this
> 	amchine as the nameserver. That's prettty much what I want.
>
> 	Question, will this work?

If it's a secondary, any hosts you add to the zone file will be
removed by the next update from the primary.  You have to be
primary for local changes to persist.

You could secondary the main domain and set yourself up as primary
for a subdomain and add the hosts to that.

secondary ourdomain.net 123.123.123.123 db.ourdomain
primary us.ourdomain.net db.us.ourdomain

would work if you don't want the hosts visible to anyone outside of
us.ourdomain.net

> 	2nd question, is there a script to crate the database for named, given
> 	an /etc/hosts file as input?

Look for h2n or hton, not sure which is the correct name.

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                  949 443 4172
 Dana Point Communications, Inc.                            dan@dpcsys.com