Date:      Mon, 17 Jan 2000 09:03:00 -0800 (PST)
From:      Nathan Cohen <xirho@digital-galaxy.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Multiplexers

I've been interested in becomng a FreeBSD-Hacker for awhile now, and now
that I have a pretty good understanding of C, I've been reading
Tanenbaum's books on Computer Organization and Operating Systems.

However, I've run into a problem on the digital-logic level of things.

From my understanding, an 8-input Multiplexer takes in 8 inputs, as the
book gives the example, each one points to a memory chip. The Multiplexer
takes three controller inputs (i.e. 001, 110, 111) and causes all but one
of the 8 inputs to become false The true one is gated into the output
through an OR circuit.

What I'm confused about, is how ORing the eight inputs together gates the
output. If I'm not mistaken, if seven are 0 and one is 1, than ORing them
together will produce a 1 (or a 0 if it's negative-logic) How does this
gate the input to the output?

Thanks.