Date:      Fri, 27 Apr 2001 10:49:37 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Carlos Santos <cajo@mail.pt>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help with Alpha Server 2100A

Carlos Santos writes:
 > Ok... so my config is something like this :
 >
 > I have 7 x 2 GB hard drives with Raid 5 which means that i have one disk of
 > 12 Gb.
 >
 > I have one swap partition of 256 Mb (twice the Ram)
 > and the remaining 11,7 Gb to FreeBSD.
 >
 > mlxd0a SWAP 256 MB SWAP
 > mlxd0b /   11786 MB UFS N
 >
 > So the problem might be due to this misconfigured slices , right ?

Misconfigured partitions, yes.  The bootloader really should be able
to deal with this, but it can't.

 > I'm going to try again, putting the "a" slide first.
 > Wich would be the best configuration for the slices ?

The "a" partition should always be first.  If you're unsure how to lay
things out, you might want to let sysinstall do it for you from the
parition menu.

That said, I don't think there are any problems with putting all of
FreeBSD in a single 11.7GB partition, as long as its first on the disk.

Drew