Date:      Mon, 6 Jan 1997 20:00:51 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel w/o source? [MOD_DECL in lkm.h]

> Of course, you are free to unbreak all the currently broken LKMs. :)
> Many people often ask for what they could do in the FreeBSD project --
> well that's one that could be done: fix the LKM mechanism.

Go to ELF, and I will fix the LKM mechanism.

Go to ELF and support page control attributes and kernel paging, and
I will make some NT drivers load (and work) under FreeBSD.

> > [blows dust of old Motorola system] Now, how do I boot this SysV thingy?
> > Sigh. It still works, damn!
>
> C'mon, it doesn't have LKMs either, only a bunch of .a/.o files.

I have an LKM implementation for SVR3/SVR4.  All it takes is a GCC
to generate PIC code for it, and you need to write a pseudodevice
(called /dev/lkm) to push the data into the kernel.  USL claims
they own it because I changed a few lines of code on it in 1995 while
employed by Novell before Novell bought USL.

Not surprisingly, I prototyped the LKM system on SVR3 and SVR4.01 in
July of 1993.  It's much the same code as currently in FreeBSD.  I
did it there because Jeffrey Hsu's changes to add PIC to GCC had not
yet been integrated.  He did the changes for BSD shared library
support ...which I completed but hadn't released by the next June
when USL was purchased because I rushed the LKM code to alpha for the
"great modular console" which no one ever built.  8-(.

Foo.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---