Date:      10 Oct 2001 09:12:26 -0700
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: code density vs readability

Lowell Gilbert <lowell@lowellg.ne.mediaone.net> writes:

> The original concern, about whether emacs could have malicious code
> shipped with it, is more realistic.  I think it's not worth worrying
> about, because there really are more eyes on the code, on a more
> regular basis, than the original poster realized.

Erroneous code was more on my mind than malicious code.

I'm willing to assume that the development project's code-tracking
software discourages malicious code to a tolerable risk level.

After all, I use the FreeBSD ports and package system.  And I tolerate
even the risk of erroneous code in that root-run software for practical
reasons with more incentive than just the convenience of using XEmacs
(vs. vi) on root-privileged files.