Date:      Wed, 5 May 1999 08:43:59 -0600 (CST)
From:      Theodore Hope <freebsd@iguana.internexo.co.cr>
To:        mnewell@newell.arlington.va.us (Mike Newell)
Cc:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.1 install hangs during probe

> Yes - that was my problem.  My MB BIOS was using IRQ12 for both the mouse
> and the PCI slots.  Once I changed the PCI slots to use IRQ11 it fixed it.
> Of course, your situation is probably quite different; I was just relating
> my problem...

Thanks for relating ;-)   The BIOS on this machine isn't very configurable,
it seems.

> You pulled all the cards out 'cept the hard/floppy drive (which could, of
> course, be on the MB) right?

I've been resisting doing that, but that's the next step.  If I yank
the 3c509 and it gets past the probe freeze, then I'll know that's the
card, and will have to run out and get a NE2000 clone or something
(in my neck of the woods you can't just run out and get

> You could also try booting in verbose mode (-v I think) to see what's
> going on.  That's what gave me my clue...

I've been booting with "-dcv" (or is it "-dqv", can't remember because
the machine is currently up running BSDI) and I get _some_ clues, but
haven't solved the problem.

I tried disabling the cache in the BIOS, so of course it ran slow
as hell, but still ended up in the same place.

I'll keep you posted ;-/   Thanks, -T.