Date:      Tue, 28 Aug 2012 07:03:22 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Tim Gustafson <tjg@soe.ucsc.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS snapshot Folder Disappearing

--------------enigCAEF7D1AF347D1273FCC0948

On 28/08/2012 00:33, Tim Gustafson wrote:
>> Did you try "zfs set snapdir=3Dvisible <pool/dataset>" ?
>=20
> I did not, but I never set them to be invisible either, and also when I=
 did:
>=20
> ls -al /tank/export/projects/www/.zfs
>=20
> I saw a "snapshot" folder listed there; it was only when I tried:
>=20
> ls -al /tank/export/projects/www/.zfs/snapshot
>=20
> that I got the "Not a directory" message.

I got bitten by this.  It seemed to be triggered by cvsup'ing the Ports
CVS repo -- ever since the switch to SVN it hasn't bothered me at all.

Anyhow, to the point: I first noticed this on a zpool which was built
under 8.1 originally, and had since tracked 8-STABLE and then 9-STABLE.
 I tried a bunch of things to see if I could make the problem go away,
including the nuclear option: splitting the mirror, wiping one of the
drives, building a whole new zpool on it, using send..recv to move the
data over, reboot onto the new zpool, wipe original disk then add it to
the new zpool as the other half of a mirror.

Didn't work.  Whatever the problem is, I believe it is still present in
the latest ZFS code.  (Can't say for sure because like I said, I'm
simply not running the sort of IO patterns that would trigger the
problem any more.)

There's a PR for this somewhere (not created by me), but I can't find it
in my records right now.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20