Date:      Thu, 15 Jul 1999 14:34:05 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@iaces.com>
To:        madamus@connectalk.com (Michel Adamus)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Need a good recommendation here

In a previous message, Michel Adamus said:
> Nick LoPresti wrote:
> >
> > This is kinda a long one, sorry for the reading...
> >
> > HOW IT IS NOW:
> >
> > 1.  Cable modem to the Internet(one IP address)
> > 2.  Internal network with multiple 95/98 machines on it
> > 3.  MSProxy 2 on the NT Server which is connected to the Internet
> > 4.  All clients use Winsock proxy for a non-hassle method of connection to
> > the net
>
> This is important, proxy clients dont connect to the net, they ask the
> NT box to fetch in information and then the NT delivers it to the
> clients.
>
> > 5.  One FreeBSD 3.2 machine on the internal network
> >
> > THE PROBLEMS:
> > 1.  FreeBSD machine can't reach internet
>
> M$ Proxy does not NAT, so it's normal that you can't get out.
>
> > 2.  Internet(well me from the Internet) can't reach FreeBSD machine
>
> Same as above, the FreeBSD box does not have a valid IP (this is based
> on your email).
>
> > WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE:
> > 1.  I need the FreeBSD machine to be able to get to the net(not being able
> > to FTP really sux, imagine it...)
>
> Well, the only solution I see is to setup the FreeBSD box with 2 NICs,
> install NAT and FIREWALL, and a DHCP Client (/usr/ports/net/ics-dhcp2).
> Correct me if I'm wrong here, I think this port contains the server and
> a client... right?

Yes, however, it is installed by default in 3.2. At lease dhclient is
which is what he'll want.

> > 2.  I need to be able to reach the FreeBSD machine from the net
>
> That will be possible once the FreeBSD box will have a routable IP.
>
> > 3.  I need all my 95/98 clients to still be able to reach the net.
>
> >From what I understand, they "connect" via M$ proxy, right? Installing
> the Firewall, using the "simple" setup, and NAT will allow you to do
> that.
>
> > Please note - A web proxy will not be enough.  I use other apps like ICQ and
> > connect to game servers, access databases, etc.
>
> ICQ will not work, but maybe someone else could cut in here with some
> more details.. Concerning the rest, everything should work fine.

He can probably set up some generic proxy servers like delagated to
handle this.

> > And finally the question:  How would you guys recommend doing this?
>
> See above.
>
> -A.
>
> > If you
> > want me to set the FreeBSD machine as the gateway(proxy/NAT) I still need to
> > able to use all of my programs on my 95/98 machines.  I hear about NAT.
> > What limitations does it have?
> >
> > Any other options?
> >
> > Feel free to ask me other questions about my intentions or current setup.
> > Whatever I can provide you to help me only makes it better!
> >
> > Any help is appreciated.  This will help me out a lot guys/girls.  Thanks a
> > lot.

Darrell Royal, Texas football coach, asked if the abnormal
number of Longhorn injuries that season resulted from poor
physical conditioning:
"One player was lost because he broke his nose. How do you
go about getting a nose in condition for football?"