Date:      Wed, 06 Oct 2004 10:54:17 -0400
From:      Lists <sfulton-lists@esoteric.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Emergency, cannot boot 4.10

Greetings,

My 4.10 server is halting during the boot process because the
kern.maxfiles entry in /etc/sysctl.conf is corrupted or wrong (though I
have not changed it in some time).  What I want to do is simply remove
that entry from the sysctl.conf file, but I cannot even get into the system.

I have a presentation later today based on some of the work I've done on
that server -- if someone could clue me in on how to best get in to fix
that file, I'd really appreciate it.  I've tried the Brazilian LiveCD
ISO, without success -- the keyboard mappings are for Portugeuse, not
English.

-- Stephen.