Date:      Wed, 28 Jun 1995 13:24:58 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        wolperte@knox.pcec.philips.com (ED WOLPERT)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The news packages

ED WOLPERT stands accused of saying:
> 	I'm started up a news server on my Freebsd box (2.0.5) and
> rather than compile it myself, I added the packages from the 2.0.5
> release.  What I'm wondering is how should I start configuring it.  In
> a sense, I'd almost be more comfortable with starting from scratch,
> since the install scripts take some (not all) of the headache
> away. Has anyone used the news packages?  (Cnews, nntp and inn) If so,
> where did you begin in the configuration?

Firstly, remove Cnews and NNTP.  INN does everything you want.

INN is usually easier to install when you've compiled it yourself, but
regardless, find where it's installed its config files, and read the
manual pages for each file.  There's also a _very_ helpful Install.1
file that comes with the INN distribution; I hope that it gets installed
somewhere in /usr/share, but can't check at the moment.  Failing this,
grab an INN source distribution and extract it from there.

Basically, you'll have to obtain an active file, write your newsfeeds
file (that's the hardest part), and frob a couple of other
files to suit your preferences.  The Install file discusses which
fall into which categories.

>                            Edward Wolpert

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" - Terry Lambert                            [[