Date:      Sun, 16 Mar 2003 20:20:19 +0200
From:      "Toomas Aas" <toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee>
To:        Malcolm Kay <Malcolm.Kay@internode.on.net>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vinum based system

Hi!

> Having no experience with vinum or software RAID systems a number of
> questions come to mind:
>
> 1) All the examples appear to use scsi drives; but I assume EIDE are also
> usable? IDE seems to be pretty good these days and much cheaper than scsi.

Yes, IDE drives can be used with Vinum. As to the price/quality ratio,
that's up to you to decide. I myself still prefer SCSI for servers. I'd
use SCSI, if the server needs to be, as you say, "fairly reliable with
respect to hardware failure - particularly disk drives".

> 2)To what extent can the system be fully mirrored? Without RAID hardware it
> seems to me that a conventional disk partition outside the mirrored volume is
> probably necessary for mounting / ; is this true?

Yes.

> 3)If the regular partition is necessary can this be taken as a modest slice
> from one of the disks whose major part is devoted to the mirror volume,
> and perhaps the corresponding slice on the other used for swap?

Yes. That's (almost) exactly what I'm doing - the "corresponding slice
on the other disk" is used for swap and /var/tmp.

--
Toomas Aas | toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee | http://www.raad.tartu.ee/~toomas/
* Be sure to use DEVICE=EXXON to screw up your environment.