Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 2007 01:00:23 -0800
From:      Garrett Cooper <youshi10@u.washington.edu>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: newbie permissions problems... what's wrong?

On Jan 17, 2007, at 12:04 AM, Oliver Iberien wrote:

> I am logged in as oliver. I have two extra partitions mounted.
> Below is the
> section of devfs.conf that has to do with them:
>
> #Allow access to the second disk
> own     /dev/ad1s2c     oliver:wheel
> perm    /dev/ad1s2c     0666
> own     /disk2          oliver:wheel
> perm    /disk2          0666
>
> #Allow access to disk3
> own     /dev/ad2s2c     oliver:wheel
> perm    /dev/ad2s2c     0666
> own     /disk3          oliver:wheel
> perm    /disk3          0666
>
> And the permissions that display are:
>
> $ ls -l / | grep disk
> drw-rw-rw-   3 oliver  wheel      2048 Jan 16 23:13 disk2
> drw-rw-rw-   6 oliver  wheel       512 Dec 21 23:01 disk3
>
> But....
>
> $ mkdir /disk2/storage
> mkdir: /disk2/storage: Permission denied
>
> Although as a superuser, it works.
>
> $ sudo mkdir /disk2/storage
> Password:
> $
>
> What is going on?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Oliver

	Missing executable permission (required for viewing directories /
executing binaries, scripts)? Try 0775 (that's a decent permissions
setup--read, write, exec for oliver and wheel group; read, write for
all) or 0770 (read, write for oliver / wheel group, permission denied
for all) or something similar.
	You can also run chmod or chown as root to set things up properly,
instead of with /etc/devfs.conf (if you don't mind that).
-Garrett