Date:      Wed, 15 Jan 1997 09:22:54 -0500 (EST)
From:      rohit@cs.umd.edu (Rohit Dube)
To:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Firewall and FreeBSD CIDR

[I am not sure if this belongs here, but there is no freebsd-net list..]

Hi,

I have a block of 32 globally routable addresses which I split into
two blocks of 16 in order to set up a firewall from the internal
machines to the external router. From the FreeBSD firewall machine,
I can 'see' both the internal network and the outside. But, the
firewall machine refuses to route any packets across it.

(Yes the firewall functionality is turned off, ip forwarding is enabled
and the subnet masks are set correctly).

Instead of subnetting at the firewall, if I use an RFC 1918 (10.0.0.X)
addrress between the firewall and the external router, everything works
just fine.

Does this mean that FreeBSD doesn't do CIDR correctly? Anybody see this
before?

I have been tearing my hair over this for a while now...

Thanks.

--rohit.

PS:   [ext. router] -------X |firewall| X-------- [internal machines]