Date:      Mon, 13 Aug 2001 20:37:54 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Rick Noelle <rick@jdictionary.com>
To:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ATG Dynamo on FreeBSD

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to send a note and say that I've successfully run ATG Dynamo
5.1 on FreeBSD 4.1 with JDK version 1.2.2.  We are using ATG at work and I
wanted to be able to mess around with it at home.  According to the ATG
web site, they unofficially support RedHat Linux 6.1 but they don't
mention FreeBSD.  Since ATG is 100% Java, I gave it a try and after some
messing around with config files, got it to work.  A couple things I had
to do was 'trick' the startup files to think I was running Linux.  It does
some checks like OS_VERSION=`uname -a` so I just hardcoded 'Linux' in
there.  It has an 'os-specific-files' directory which has the jikes
compiler.  So I overwrote the Linux version of Jikes with FreeBSD
jikes.  I didn't use any type of Linux emulation by the way.

The only issue I ran into was the database it ships with 'Solid'.  They
have a version for Linux and Solaris but not FreeBSD of course.  In order
to run the full ATG package, you must launch this database and then start
up Dynamo.  There were two ways around this, one was to run the db on
another machine like Linux and point your ATG instance to it.  The second
way around it is to use PostgreSQL.  Although I couldn't get all of the
tables created under Postgres (it ships with the .sql scripts required to
build all the tables), I was able to get the DAS 'Dynamo Application
Server' tables built.  This is enough to to start the basic module of ATG,
the application server.  If you need to run the other modules like Dynamo
Personalization Server of Dyanmo Commerce Server, you would have to tweak
the .sql scripts enough to run them on postgres or MySQL or what have
you.  If you were running Oracle on FreeBSD you'd be set since they have
all the .sql scripts for Oracle.

So if anyone is interested, it definitely is possible to run Dynamo on
FreeBSD.  It performs great too.  I was really impressed.  My Celeron 566
was running just as fast or faster than a dual Xeon 350 Linux box at
work.  I also think it is more stable on FreeBSD.  I don't know why ATG
doesn't look into officially supporting FreeBSD..

You can read about ATG at http://www.atg.com if you are interested.

Rick Noelle