Date:      Thu, 18 Nov 1999 11:55:08 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        "Alexey N. Dokuchaev" <danfe@ssc.nsu.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Several questions

On Thu, 18 Nov 1999 15:24:32 +0600, "Alexey N. Dokuchaev" wrote:

> device      scyl   ecyl   size    type   comments
> /dev/hda1   63     ...    20M     6      (>=32M DOS FAT)
> /dev/hda2   ...    ...    64M     6      (>=32M DOS FAT)
> /dev/hda3   ...    ...    ~2G     165    (big FreeBSD slice)
> /dev/hda4   ...    638    ...     5      (EXTENDED)

[...]

> First, strangely enough, fbsd's install-time fdisk didn't show my logical
> drives (only extended entry).  Why not?

The most popular answer to this questions is that extended partitions
are a weird MS-DOS misfeature and aren't useable given the framework
within which FreeBSD makes use of partitions.

>   |     Max one `fat' allowed as child of `whole'      |

[...]

> What does this suppose to mean?!  I have _no_ idea whatsoever, even
> any sort of lame guess.  Just nothing.  Any help would be greatly
> appreciated.

I'll offer you my own lame guess -- the software is warning you that
MS-DOS will not like your partitioning scheme, because MS-DOS can only
understand a single FAT filesystem in a single "Primary" partition.

Remember that hard-drive support was added to MS-DOS as a kludge, so
their partitioning scheme was neither good nor particularly compatible
with what everyone else was doing and has done.

> FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE to my Linux box, I 'wget -r -b -t 0 -nr 'ed it.
> Everything was fine, except that 'packages'-linked directory/All
> contained *huge* amouunt of software.  When examined, it seemed to me
> that it is only binaries + some config stuff, but no sources.  But the
> path was ../../../ports/i386/packages-3.3-release.

These are pre-compiled ready-to-install packages.  For the actual source
tarballs for the various packages, you'd look for distfiles instead of
packages.

And yes, the packages are built by our ports collection.  You can read
more about the ports collection at:

	http://www.freebsd.org/ports/

> Fourth.  At some point during installion, installator told me that
> es told me that it can't fetch file 'local/local.inf'.  Well, there
> is no such file, indeed.  Neither on ftp1.ru.FreeBSD.org, nor on
> ftp.freebsd.org.  What is this about?

I think you've misreported the error message.  In short, don't worry
about it. :-)

> Fifth.  It's about mouse.  Why only on ttyv0?  How to turn off stupid
> "graphical" cursor?  Can I cut and paste, like in Linux?

The default is to enable the mouse on ttyv0 only, for some obscure
reason.  If you want it on all the virtual terminals, you can add this
line to /etc/rc.conf:

	allscreens_flags="-m on"

The value of the allscreens_flags variable is passed to vidcontrol(1)
for each virtual terminal at boot time. You can read the vidcontrol(1)
manual page for more detail.

Note that there are many tweakable boot-time options available.  Use
/etc/defaults/rc.conf as a reference but do not edit that file.  Use
/etc/rc.conf to override the defaults instead.

Oh, and it's the graphical cursor or bust, as far as I know. :-)

> Sixth.  How to make standard "blinking _" cursor (messing with rc.confs
> didn't help)?

Ha!  Another question involving vidcontrol(1).  While you're checking
out the vidcontrol(1) manual page, the -c option will be of interest to
you.

Enjoy your FreeBSD experience.  You should be complemented on the
quality of your questions, by the way. :-)

Cuiao,
Sheldon.