Date:      Mon, 24 Jun 1996 14:22:46 GMT
From:      Gilles Tschopp <gilles.tschopp@aletsch.esis.vsnet.ch>
To:        gwk@cray.com
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: How to use Syquest EZ-135 as backup drive ?

I resent my message in order that scsi@FreeBSD.org will receive it, which it
wasn't the case in my previous message.

At 13:12 24/06/96 +0200, you wrote:

>If this thing *is* a disk, and Gilles is a newbie, he'll probably have

I'm a newbie ONLY on the administration part of UNIX ... Not the basis of
UNIX ! ... My biggest problem is the lack of French and English
documentation in Switzerland ... I have a book, but the TAR command is
explained in two or three sentences... and the MAN page is too obscure for
me. I need some pratical examples. And I'm still expecting a book which I
ordered for three weeks.

>a hard time to get it disklabel(8)'ed and newfs'ed.  I think the
>easiest route for him would then be to

I know about disklabel and newfs ... But it isn't my aim.

>	f) Check the /dev directory for an entry for the "sdX"
>	   (substitute actual unit number for X) found during the
>	   probe.  Both the basic "sdX" and the "sdX{a,b,c...}"
>	   partitions should be there.  If they aren't, run "MAKDEDEV
>	   sdXa" while in the /dev directory.
>
>It should now be possible to access the EZ-135.  The whole volume will
>be /dev/sdXc.  Any partitions created in c) would be usable also, if
>one desires to subdivide the unit.

It is already done. I have done enough experimentations through FreeBSD !
:-) I installed FreeBSD since three weeks.

The EZ-135 is affected ad "sd1a" device. My goal is to make a comprehensive
backup of my FreeBSD system, and the TAR command is too obscure for me,
until I'll get the expecting book. But it is better to doing the backup
process now ... So I would like to get a good and _safe_ method to backup
the whole FreeBSD to my EZ-135.

Thank you for your help.

Gilles.
Gilles Tschopp, Informaticien de gestion ES
gilles.tschopp@esis.vsnet.ch
http://icare.itech.ch
http://esis.vsnet.ch
http://www.vsnet.ch