Date:      Wed, 26 Mar 2003 10:48:04 +0100
From:      =?iso-8859-1?Q?S=F8ren_Klintrup?= <skl@securehosting.dk>
To:        <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: file system help needed

Bill Vermillion wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 18:30 , S?ren Klintrup moved his mouse,
> rebooted for the change to take effect, and then said:
>
>> yep - the problem is that you have a lot of zonefiles in
>> /etc/namedb ..
>
> How have you determined that?  /etc is part of / which is full but
> just because he can't edit this dns files does not mean they are
> the culprit.
>
> Based on dns useage I've seen on my DNS he'd have to have 10K+
> domains to make a significant impact - unless he's dumped a lot of
> files.
>
> I suspect it's something else.  If he's running a default install
> perhaps something like his mail program has left a huge temporary
> mailbox in /tmp.   I always make my TMPDIR to be /usr/tmp to avoid
> such thints.

You are quite right - since his problem was adding more zones for customers
I kinda figured that was the case - a bad assumption from my side, which I
see now after a good nights sleep :)

 >> here is several solutions to this problem, I've listed a few here :
>
>> 1) move the files from /etc/namedb to /usr/local/namedb or
>> something like that and make a symbolic link
>
> And given the df output he has most of the space in a slice called
> /usr/www - though /usr certainly has more than enough, as there is
> more free space in /usr than totally used in /

imo /usr/www wouldn't be a logical place to set the files if /usr has enough
space, but it's all a matter of personal preference and system setup, ie if
you have chrooted your apache to /usr/www it'd have access to zonefiles as
well.

>> 2) make a new slice for /etc/namedb with enough room for your
>> files - and copy the old files to this slice
>
> That's pretty drastics unless you are running 10's of thousands of
> entries in you DNS - at least that's how I view it.

true, was just listing options that came to my mind

>> 3) change the configuration for named so it points to another
>> configfile and change the config to point at a new location
>> with enough space
>
>> 4) Install a new version of bind ( http://www.isc.org ) to
>> another location and configure it correctly.
>
> That's quite a bit of overkill.  He just needs to pass the
> the options to named for the config file to use, copy the current
> named.conf to that location, and specify the working directory
> there.

as stated in #3 - but a bit vague I suspect.

> Leave the reinstall to systems that require it - eg MS thingys.

been there, done that - refused to recieve the t-shirt.

It was "late" after a day bashing at ms machines, shouldn't have replied to
the email I guess, the windows machine is running nicely now and I'm back on
familiar grounds again (FreeBSD) - sorry for any inconvenience

/Søren