Date:      Tue, 7 Dec 2004 17:37:16 -0800
From:      Mike Hunter <mhunter@ack.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   device apic?

Hi,

I'm successfully up to 5.3-STABLE / RELENG_5 as of today :)

In order to build my kernel I had to leave out apic, even though I had
options SMP...has something changed?

# make buildkernel KERNCONF=mybox

config: Error: device "apic" is unknown
config: 1 errors
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
mybox# grep apic sys/amd64/conf/NOTES
# The apic device enables the use of the I/O APIC for interrupt delivery.
# The apic device can be used in both UP and SMP kernels, but is required
# for SMP kernels.  Thus, the apic device is not strictly an SMP option,

Did smp successfully make it into my kernel?

mybox# uname -a
FreeBSD mybox 5.3-STABLE FreeBSD 5.3-STABLE #0: Tue Dec  7 15:35:28
PST 2004     root@mybox:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/mybox  amd64
mybox# sysctl -a | grep -i smp
kern.timecounter.smp_tsc: 0
kern.smp.forward_roundrobin_enabled: 1