Date:      Wed, 05 May 1999 10:50:26 -0500
From:      "Jonathan E. Lyons" <parrothd@midwest.net>
To:        Anthony Hoelzle <pentium@cio.net>, FreeBSD questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: problems with samba

Well,
	You should put aside the samba problem for now and figure out why your
client machines are having problems with TCP/IP connections. You should
make sure that there are no problems with your network, and the TCP/IP
stack of your microsoft clients. FTP, Telnet all should be working fine,
before you start adding more variables to the problem, you probably have
some network/routing/ethernet card config problem to fix..

The FreeBSD machine probably hangs for that long because it's probably
trying to resolve it's host name. If this is the case you need to look at
your /etc hosts, hosts.conf and resolve.conf files...

(Just because you can ping it, doesn't really mean it's working, try a
traceroute, ftp,telnet)

At 07:40 AM 5/5/99 -0700, Anthony Hoelzle wrote:
>when I try to connect to the server through network neighborhood it
>tells me "\\server is not accessible, the network is busy"
>
>smbclient tells me no errors, ping works with ip or hostname (named
>running fine), telnet works but is extremely slow, and ftp doesn't
>work from windows-based ftp client/dos says connected to ip addr, but
>nothing else (I think it's just timing out). Also, when I boot the
>server, it hangs for about 2 minutes when starting the samba server, I
>run smbd and nmbd separate from inetd. I don't think I'm forgetting
>anything, but I have the gut feeling that I am.

Jonathan E. Lyons   			FreeBSD
parrothd@midwest.net 			MCP, MCSE, A+ Certified
http://parrothd.midwest.net/
ICQ # 14226912