Date:      Wed, 15 Aug 2001 10:31:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        mobile@freebsd.org, parv_@yahoo.com
Subject:   Re: dell i5000e & apm

>Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 10:04:12 -0400
>From: parv <parv_@yahoo.com>

>is there a soul here who knows if freebsd 4-stable on dell inspiron
>5000e can survive more than one "stand by/suspend" cycles, measured in
>minutes, w/o hard reboots?

>last time i tried, when dell issued an bios-apm update, around may 6
>2001 w/ then current 4-stable version, the exercise was in futility.

OK; I finally got a chance to try this on my laptop (which is quite
similar to a Dell I5000e), and it seems to work just fine:  I used
Fn+Esc to suspend (to RAM; I don't have suspend-to-disk set up), waited
a while, then tapped the power button to wake it up.  I didn't even need
to do anything with Fn+F8.

This is on:
FreeBSD m147.whistle.com 4.4-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 4.4-PRERELEASE #147: Wed Aug 15 06:38:39 PDT 2001     root@dhcp-140.catwhisker.org:/common/S1/obj/usr/src/sys/LAPTOP_30W  i386

(I use /etc/dhclient-exit-hooks to set my hostname depending on what IP
address the DHCP server hands out.)

Cheers,
david
As a computing professional, I believe it would be unethical for me to
advise, recommend, or support the use (save possibly for personal
amusement) of any product that is or depends on any Microsoft product.