Date:      Mon, 23 Sep 1996 09:51:57 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: splash-page on bootup..

[all other discussion snipped]

Uh... guys? Guys?!

There are a couple of things I'd like to say here, about how this
whole discussion is nothing more than a sad example of caving in to
the Micro$oft Mentality (tm) and how we really should be concentrating
on more important things like fixing bugs and improving performance
before talking about stroking our egos with a pointless splash page, but
I'm going to put those things aside in favor or a more pressing issue.

While you're all gushing all over yourselves with nifty splash page
ideas, you're forgetting that not every FreeBSD machine out there has
a graphics console. Yes boys and girls, some of us mutants actually
use dumb ASCII terminals for consoles, and if you fuck up our ability
to continue doing so, we will swoop down on you like... like... like
mutant ASCII terminal console users, and take you to the Mutant ASCII
Terminal Console User King, who will undoubtedly be very unhappy. He's
already plenty miffed that we can't do a proper install from a serial
console.

So don't let me catch any of you lot showing up here with a vacuous,
'Stepford hacker' grin on your face saying: "Oh yeah, by the way, we
had to throw out serial console support to make the splash screen work.
Hope you don't mind. All in the name of progress, you know; there's a
good chap."

Remember: we mutant ASCII terminal console users look just like the
rest of you; we're everywhere. And we'll be watching.

[cue Outer Limits theme]

-Bill

 "If you're ever in trouble, go to the CTR. Ask for Bill. He will help you."