Date:      Wed, 07 Dec 2011 21:47:31 +1000
From:      Da Rock <freebsd-hackers@herveybayaustralia.com.au>
To:        Tom Evans <tevans.uk@googlemail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 64bit build errors

On 12/07/11 21:29, Tom Evans wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 10:59 AM, Da Rock
> <freebsd-hackers@herveybayaustralia.com.au>  wrote:
>> Cool! Thanks for that.
>>
>> I got a manual to read by the looks of it anyway, but can anyone give me the
>> inside gos on the why it does what it does? (Or something like that.. :) )
>>

> This email explains it:
>
> http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-users/2011-July/083051.html

I really hate sounding like an idiot, but if I don't ask I'll never
know: The assembler in base is not up-to-date with the latest
instruction sets for the cpu, and is causing an error because its
telling the cpu to do something it doesn't understand and is going WTF!
So the port binutils provides the latest instruction sets for the latest
cpus. And ffmpeg and friends use the latest cpu abilities to run as fast
as they do? Right or way off? Otherwise I'd have problems building
anything, wouldn't I?