Date:      Tue, 14 Jan 1997 09:11:58 +0100 (MET)
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-current@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: a last word on last

> As Christoph Kukulies wrote:
>
> > > You can also use src/tools/3.0-upgrade/cvs-wtmp.
> >
> > I did that a couple of times and either cvs-wtmp barfed at
> > some entries or it didn't work for some other reasons.
>
> Have you tried the `force' switch of the most recent version?

Thanks for pointing that out. I presently don't have anymore 'old'
wtmp files to convert :-)

> > I know that the wtmp/utmp issues have been discussed widely but
> > a clearing word on this issue would really be helpful. What is the idea
> > to cope with this problem?
>
> The idea for the final solution has been floating around here, and was
> commonly accepted: all the utmp/wtmp handling stuff should be isolated
> in libutil (it is already mostly), and no application should ever need
> to include <utmp.h> again (login(3) is still failing this API
> requirement).
>
> There's already one positive side-effect of this discussion: i finally
> (after more than 10 years of existance?) wrote the man pages for
> libutil.  ;-)
>
> Once this has been done, and the major packages and third-party
> software actually uses it, we can do with utmp whatever we want, we
> can convert it into dBase format :), make it a record structure, or
> what else might be the most rationale format.
>
> Needless to say, somebody needs to do all this.  I have the feeling
> that David Nugent (hi Dave :) feels compelled to work in this area...

Fine. Thanks for explaining.

I built XFree86 yesterday BTW, to have all X apps in new shape
because these odd entries were creeping in into my last output.

This happened when I was sitting at the console using X yesterday for the
whole day so it's probably xterm/color_xterm.

BTW, is color_xterm gone from port/x11 now and is xterm
the full replacement for this (as Satoshi (?) mentioned earlier)?