Date:      Thu, 27 Jun 2002 15:53:45 -0700
From:      "Jjim Bodkins" <bodkins@prologic.com>
To:        <freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <bodkins@prologic.com>
Subject:   Linking with Solaris .o's

Hi,

   I did an experiment between Solaris (Intel) 8 and FreeBSD 4.4. I created
a .o on Solaris, moved it to FreeBSD and linked it with a native FreeBSD .o
and it produced an executable that ran. (I did this as a test. I have a
number of libraries in .a form that I would like to use on FreeBSD).

   When I attempt to link against the Solaris .a's (they are libraries from
a non Sun source. Not standard libs) I get this ...

/usr/libexec/elf/ld: section .stab.exclstr [00000000 -> 0000002e] overlaps
secti
on .stab.excl [00000000 -> 0000005f]
/usr/libexec/elf/ld: section .stab.index [00000000 -> 0000011f] overlaps
section
 .stab.excl [00000000 -> 0000005f]
/usr/libexec/elf/ld: section .stab.indexstr [00000000 -> 000000fd] overlaps
sect
ion .stab.excl [00000000 -> 0000005f]
/usr/libexec/elf/ld: ck: Not enough room for program headers (allocated 6,
need
7)
/usr/libexec/elf/ld: final link failed: Bad value
*** Error code 1

   I'm not sure what this means exactly. My test was in C. For all I know,
the code in the libs were generated in assembler. Dont know. Any ideas?

   Another option that I have is to use the same libs from Linux. However,
that would require an additional purchase and I'm not sure that Linux libs
can be used in a linking process with native FreeBSD code. Can they or are
they only usefull in support of Linux binaries?

   Any help would be appreciated.

Jim