Date:      Sat, 22 Jul 2006 08:58:39 +0800
From:      "Intron" <mag@intron.ac>
To:        Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Improving FreeBSD's hardware compatibility

Oliver Fromme wrote:

> Intron wrote:
>  > Oliver Fromme wrote:
>  > > Intron wrote:
>  > > > Peter Jeremy wrote:
>  > > > > Getting action from vendors has been unsuccessful in the past - the
>  > > > > Free OS community (Linux + *BSD) is too small for vendors to be
>  > > > > concerned about.
>  > > >
>  > > > I cannot agree with you. Linux has achieved much more support from
>  > > > hardware vendors than FreeBSD.
>  > >
>  > > Interestingly, when I looked for a new laptop last year,
>  > > it turned out that the number of laptops that ran FreeBSD
>  > > was greater than those that ran Linux.  (I finally chose
>  > > a Samsung X20-XVM 1600-V, which works perfectly fine for
>  > > me except for the built-in winmodem [which I don't need
>  > > anyway].  A Linux live CD didn't even boot on it.)
>  >
>  > Have a look at http://linmodems.org/ before your assertion.
>
> How useful is a Linux driver for the modem if Linux does
> not even _boot_ on your machine?  And as I wrote, I don't
> even need the modem, because I've got Ethernet and WLAN.
>
>  > How many modems listed on that website are support by FreeBSD?
>
> I have no idea (there are a few ports [e.g. ltmdm] which
> support a few).  It's pretty much irrelevant.
>
>  > > > You may look in Linux source code.
>  > > > In linux-2.6.x/drivers/, there are so many hardware drivers.
>  > >
>  > > Yeah, most of which are crap.  :-)   The raw number of
>  > > drivers says _nothing_ about hardware vendors' support.
>  >
>  > This is a problem of code quality.
>  > But at least Linux community has so many volunteers/vendors to write
>  > drivers.
>
> Yes, which is the cause of the code quality problem.
>
> Intron wrote:
>  > I would write USB stack in C++
>
> The existing USB stack is already quite heavy-weight and
> inefficient.  There's no reason to make it even worse.
>
>  > But on freebsd-hackers@, this idea encountered strong objection.
>
> If you look at the archives, you'll notice that you're not
> the first one suggesting to write (parts of) the kernel in
> C++.  The reaction was always the same.
>
>  > Do you believe that current Intel Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon XP can process
>  > analog TV in full frame size and full frame rate (no larger than 767x575,
>  > 25 FPS, either of NTSC/PAL/SECAM) freely?
>
> My 7-years old Pentium-II can do that.

Really?

Y: 767x575   = 441025 (bytes)
U: 767x575/4 = 110256 (bytes)
V: 767x575/4 = 110256 (bytes)
One frame: 661537 bytes
One second: 661537*25 = 16538425 (bytes), 132 Mbps

Please note that all popular video compressing algorithms (MPEG 1/2/4,
Ogg Theora, RealVideo and Microsoft Windows Media Video) are not so simple
as copying. My Intel Celeron 1.7GHz cannot compress in full size and full
frame rate of PAL-D video into MPEG-2 format instantly.