Date:      Wed, 20 Sep 2000 17:24:25 +0200 (MEST)
From:      Usselmann.M@gmx.net
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: DSL access with PPPoE

On Wed, 20 Sep 2000 09:36:34 -0500, Charlie Schloemer wrote:

>On 18 Sep 00, at 22:56, Manfred Usselmann wrote:
>
>> I would like to provide DSL Internet access for the few PC's on my LAN
>> using my FreeBSD server. According to the provider PPPoE is what I
need.

>> My question: Do I have to add an additional NIC to the server or can I
>> just attach the DSL modem to the hub and use the existing network
adapter
>> for the LAN and the Internet?
>
>I'm sure I'm not the most knowledgeable on this, but since I haven't
>seen anyone else reply, here goes:

Thanks for trying to help.

>DSL providers will give you a DSL router, which sometimes is an
>internal PCI expansion card and sometimes an external box.
>Unless your ISP has written drivers for an internal DSL card to work
>with FreeBSD, you want the external box.  (Otherwise, you may be
>forced to run Windows 98.)

The provider is the German Telekom / T-Online.de. They provide you with an
external DSL modem (not a router) which can be directly connected to a NIC.
This is totally sufficient if all you want is to connect one PC to the
Internet.

>Likely, your ISP will give you only 1 IP address, so if you're going
>to squeeze multiple boxes through this connection, you'll have to
>perform IP masquerading of some sort.

Yes, I will need IP masquerading. The IP will be assigned dynamically. It
is some kind of dial-up connection.

Although I could buy some kind of DSL-Router which would act as a gateway
for the rest of the PCs on the LAN, I decided to try to set this up with
FreeBSD to increase my knowledge.

>Your DSL router may be
>able to handle this, your FreeBSD can certainly handle this (and
>it's more fun that way), but the topology changes depending on
>which way you go: for the former, yes, you can just plug the DSL
>router into the hub with the rest of your boxes.  For FreeBSD to
>handle the IP masquerading, you'll need to install another NIC in
>your BSD box, plug one into the local LAN, plug the other into the
>DSL router via crossover cable (or use another hub if you have an
>extra lying about).
>
>Additionally, unless I'm totally off my rocker, I don't think you'll
>need PPPoE for this.

I definitely need PPP over Ethernet to access the Internet via T-Online. I
already tested the connection successfully with a Win2K PC where I
installed RASPPPOE. But this driver does not handle masquerading and, of course, I
want to use my FreeBSD server as the Internet gateway.

>If you can provide some more detail about your topology, folks on
>the list can help you with the specifics if you get snagged.

Ok, I think I will add an additional NIC to the server and try to set this
up with PPPoE.

> HTH  :-)

What does this abbreviation mean?

Thanks,