Date:      22 Jan 2002 21:19:50 -0500
From:      Joe Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Bernie <Bernie_X@myrealbox.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD User Questions List <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: gnomecore problem...

On Tue, 2002-01-22 at 17:17, Bernie wrote:

> hello,
>
> i'm trying to do portupgrade on gnomecore and get errors
> continuosly. the portupgrade was used with -PR options.
> the error i'm getting after a long compiling session is
> the following:
>
> command failed: make clean build
> ** Fix the problem and try again.
> ** The following packages were not installed or upgraded (-:skipped /
> !:failed)
> - graphics/png (png-1.2.1)
> - devel/gettext (gettext-0.10.35_1)
> - archivers/bzip2 (bzip2-1.0.1)
> - graphics/xpm (xpm-3.4k)
> - graphics/jpeg (jpeg-6b_1)
> - audio/libaudiofile (libaudiofile-0.2.2)
> - graphics/libungif (libungif-4.1.0b1)
> - audio/esound (esound-0.2.23)
> - devel/glib12 (glib-1.2.10_5)
> - x11-toolkits/gtk12 (gtk-1.2.10_3)
> - textproc/libxml (libxml-1.8.16)
> - graphics/tiff (tiff-3.5.7)
> - graphics/imlib (imlib-1.9.11)
> - x11/gnomelibs (gnomelibs-1.4.1.3)
> - audio/gnomeaudio (gnomeaudio-1.4.0)
> ! x11/gnomecore (gnomecore-1.2.4)       (missing header)

This might be related to the recent change in gnomelibs.  You may need
to portupgrade -r -f ORBit to fix this.

If you send the actual compile output, that may help determine for sure
what is going on.

> i'm getting error on compilation on many ports. they are
> cvsup and i'm using 4.5-Prerelease version.
>
> is there any way to get a better report on the error that
> occured?
>
> i was trying to compile glide as well but didn't work either.
> same with xmms and many other ports.
>
> i think that some 'central' thing fails to compile and it's
> needed by many apps that in turn fail to compile cause they
> depend on it.
>
> on occasions i got the stdout and stderr captured, but
> couldn't figure out where exactly the error was occuring.
>
> is there anyone that can give me a hand with this?

The GNOME ports _do_ compile on 4.5-PRE and -RC just fine.  You just
have to make sure the long list of dependencies are up-to-date.  Forcing
a portupgrade on ORBit and everything that depends on ORBit is a good
way of cleaning up GNOME issues.

Joe