Date:      Wed, 26 Jul 1995 21:18:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jeff Aitken <jaitken@cslab.vt.edu>
To:        sjb@austin.ibm.com (Scott Brickner)
Cc:        jaitken@cslab.vt.edu, sef@kithrup.com, security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: secure/ changes...

> I assume you bring this up to point out that the legality of the
> issue is independent from persecution on the issue.  True.

That was exactly my point.  Furthermore, the fact that members of the
FreeBSD core team just finished a similar ordeal with USL makes it all
the more understandable that at least some of them are hesitant to even
approach a "gray" issue like this one.

> ITAR doesn't cover import.
> Were import illegal, PRZ would also be harrassed for the import
> of IDEA.  He isn't, ergo import is legal.

Although I freely admit that I have little or no knowledge of the issues
involved, and that you seem to have a fairly good grasp of them, it is
generally a logical fallacy to construe the absence of one fact as proof
of another. :)

--
Jeff Aitken
jaitken@vt.edu