Date:      Thu, 3 Sep 1998 09:13:38 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.NoDak.edu>
To:        09533893@mail4.dlsu.edu.ph, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BPF

according to the kernel sources for BPF, you read size must equal the
packet buffer size (change 500 to 4096). I would think you need to
place the interface into promiscuous mode if you want to access
non-local packets, I also think you need to place a filter (even
if the filter says that you want everything).

you may wish to look at pcap(3) and tcpdump(8) for programming help.

--mark.