Date:      Wed, 1 Jul 1998 23:54:54 -0400 (EDT)
From:      CyberPeasant <djv@bedford.net>
To:        moses1@sprint.ca
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: My system SLOWS down after putting UP my nic.

Moses Anguandia wrote:
[reformatted to 72 col]

 I recently installed a Linksys Ether16 pnp Lan Card in my FreeBsd
 box (148.29.1.2) and I have it well configured under ed0. My
 problem is when I use ifconfig to put it UP my whole system SLOWS
 Down. It almost take two to three minutes to see xemacs after the
 commands have been entered.  When at boot it comes to "starting
 standard daemons: Inetd cron sendmail" the system halt for almost
 4minutes like dead.
  My router (148.29.1.6) is not yet connected to the system. And
  when I turn my ed0 interface down again, everything goes to
  normal. I checked at boot if I had conflicts but all my irq's
  are well allocated. Here's my Routing tables:
> Routing tables
>
> Internet:
>
> Destination Gateway Flags Refs Use Netif
>
> default 148.29.1.6 UGSc 0 0 ed0
>
> 127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 UH 0 0 lo0
>
> 148.29.1/24 link#1 UC 0 0
>
> 148.29.1.2 0:40:5:4e:57:23 UHLW 1 26 lo0
>
> 148.29.1.6 link#1 UHLW 1 0
>
> 148.29.1.255 ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff UHLWb 1 19 ed0

You are seeing normal operation in the presence of an error, I think.
It sounds like the system has been told (/etc/resolv.conf + /etc/host.conf)
to make DNS lookups from a DNS server that is accessible only
through the gateway, ...6, which is not connected.

"Hanging sendmail at boot" is the classic "presenting symptom".

Try reversing the order of the "bind" and "hosts" lines in /etc/host.conf,
and removing the definitions of inaccessible nameservers in resolv.conf.

dave
--
http://www.microsoft.com/security: `Microsoft Windows NT Server is the most
                  secure network operating system available.'