Date:      Sat, 2 Jun 2012 14:11:06 -0400
From:      Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
To:        Chris Rees <utisoft@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Subject:   Re: Why Are You NOT Using FreeBSD?

On Jun 2, 2012, at 1:31 PM, Chris Rees wrote:

> On Jun 2, 2012 3:19 PM, "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de> =
wrote:
>>=20
>> On 06/02/12 14:47, Daniel Kalchev wrote:
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>> The ports tree is a moving target during release periods still, =
although
>>> there are efforts to make movements smaller. This is why, after a
>>> release it suddenly moves more :)
>>>=20
>>> Daniel
>>=20
>> Even IF the ports tree IS a moving target, updating of UPDATING, for
>> instance, follows most times AFTER the critical ports has been
>> changed/updated and folks started updating their ports without =
realizing
>> that they have shot themselfs into the foot!
>>=20
>=20
> Not reading UPDATING until there are problems is not the fault of the =
ports
> tree; it should be checked every time you update.
>=20
> Of course, many of us forget, but that still doesn't make it anyone =
else's
> problem when we do!

The point he made was actually not a matter of people not reading =
UPDATING but that UPDATING is oftentimes not updated until after the =
disruptive/potentially dangerous change has already hit the ports tree.  =
So, even though people check UPDATING, it won't help them because there =
will be nothing apropos there until maybe days later when someone has =
decided an UPDATING entry was merited in retrospect.

I'm not sure what the solution is for the end user.  I know I get =
somewhat leery of updating my ports if I see a large number of changes =
coming via portsnap (like the 4000+ that accompanied the recent libpng =
upgrade) and there is nothing new in UPDATING (which, happily wasn't the =
case with the libpng upgrade).  Usually, I wait a while for the dust to =
clear and an UPDATING entry potentially to appear.

Maybe the solution is to track the freebsd-ports mailing list get get =
advanced warning of large changes, but that would mean following another =
high-volume list. :-(

Cheers,

Paul.