Date:      Wed, 11 Aug 1999 11:34:18 -0400
From:      Daniel Tso <dan@tsolab.org>
To:        tcobb@staff.circle.net, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: On freezes in 3.2-Stable

> >We take out the added memory, and then everything is going well.
>
> I thought that might be the situation.  So I removed the memory
> and put it into another box which worked fine w/ just that one
> DIMM.  I'm guessing now that the memory was fine, but support
> for 1GB was the problem.

>> Supermicro can't handle a full 1GB, despite their specs

Just in case this tidbit isn't completely obvious...
There are situations with motherboards and particular memory SIMM/DIMMs
in which, from a digital/logical/programming standpoint, you can fill
up to the max amount of support memory -- no problem. However from an
*electrical* standpoint, it becomes unreliable or simply not workable.

These situations often have to do with the maximum amount of capacitance
the memory driving circuits can handle. Modern dynamic RAM is nothing
but a whole bunch of capacitors. Plus there is appreciable capacitance
in any IC or circuit. This is why sometimes it matters whether a SIMM
has 3 chips or 9 chips, or 12 chips or 36 chips, etc, even though the
digital/logical circuit is the same and the amount of memory is the
same, the *electrical* interface that that SIMM presents to the memory
bus can be quite different.

So you may, if you can, wish to play with different DIMM/chip
configurations.
Or pose this sort of question to Supermicro...