Date:      19 Jan 00 15:17:00 NZDT
From:      David Ferry <lamester@netscape.net>
To:        Jason Evans <jasone@canonware.com>, Lyndon Griffin <lgriffin@bsd4us.org>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [Re: hello ello llo lo o]

To see this read the freebsd-alpha mail archives starting jan 1998 ( I th=
ink).
These first few months give key info on how they did the alpha port.

They put as much of the userspace across running under the netbsd kernel.=

ie run netbsd, replace binutils+gcc etc with freebsd ones.
Kernel work seemed like it started later.

I worked with a friend a year and a half ago porting linux to the sun 3/8=
0. We
did it the opposite way around. It may help you to read an alternative.
That was we started with the kernel boot code assembly. Got it initializi=
ng
the mmu right which under linux meant that the mm system was in place, th=
en
supported the console+ serial ports, ethernet. Then configured the kernel=
nfs mount root on another box to get userspace with binutils etc targetin=
g a
m68k box.
Later someone else did scsi. Then we graduated and lost access to the box=
en
despite the fact they had dead id proms :(

Putting my neck out this made far more sense for us than porting user spa=
ce
when most of the work is going to be kernel space anyway (especially
considering you are doing sparc32's just use a cross compiler and target =
sparc
32).

=46rom bsd documentation I have read the mmu code is multiplatform as lon=
g as
the pmap layer is implemented on the target platform. This was true of fr=
eebsd
as it came from 4.4bsd which had the pmap layer (dunno anymore)

-David

lamester@netscape.net