Date:      Tue, 08 Aug 1995 01:17:54 +0100
From:      Gary Palmer <gary@palmer.demon.co.uk>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Subject:   Re: workaround for talk's address problem

In message <199508080002.RAA01756@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>, "Rodney W. Grimes" write
s:
>Okay, I am subnetted 0xfffffff0, .17 is my 10Mb/s ether, .33 and .49 are
>2 100Mb/s ethernets.  I can nfs mount from any of those three networks
>without any problems what so ever.  I do it all day long and have been for
>over a month with this setup.

As Jsutin already stated, you run named on gndrsh, so when a client
does a nslookup of gndrsh to find it's address, it'll get the address
of the interface it connects to ('cos BIND is like that). However,
morton/throck don't run nameservers, who does the nameservice, and
hence the address could be returned in a random order. If the slip
addr is returned first, then mount will try and contact the slip
address. mountd will reply from the ether address and confuse the
client.

Does this clear things up? :-)

Gary