Date:      Fri, 12 Dec 2014 08:23:24 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.net>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Can DUMMYNET handle weighting of traffic according to firewall rules?

At 03:06 AM 12/12/2014, Luigi Rizzo wrote:

>you can set the limit for the pipe, create two queues with different
>weights attached to the pipe, and then schedule.
>
>ipfw pipe 12 config bw 3456 Kbit/s
>ipfw queue 34 config weight 2 pipe 12
>ipfw queue 56 config weight 1 pipe 12
>ipfw add queue 34 in recv halfduplexlink0
>ipfw add queue 56 out xmit halfduplexlink0

Alas, as I understand it (and also based on my empirical tests),
this will give downstream traffic priority but will still let the
same amount of upstream traffic through per second if there is no
downstream traffic... because the capacity of the pipe is still the
same. What I want to do is have the pipe, not the queue, weight the
upstream traffic twice as heavily.

--Brett Glass