Date:      Tue, 2 Jul 2002 09:47:05 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        baszd-meg@excite.com
Cc:        keramida@ceid.upatras.gr, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to get back FreeBSD-dumped data with linux-restore.

Hi all,

> Hi Giorgos!
>
> > AFAIK, what you were doing is not always a good idea.  You were trying
> > to use the Linux restore program to restore data from a tape that was
> > written with something like:
>
> Of course you are right, but what else can I do? To move the backupserver
> to FreeBSD means getting back Linux-dumps (from other machines)with
> FreeBSD-restore. Mhm, the same thing the other way round.
> Installing on every server FreeBSD means a lot of work and a second backup
> machine means a lot of costs.
>
> I wonder how people do tapebackups in such mixed environments. It's not
> very seldom to have Linux- and FreeBSD-servers in one LAN.
>
> However, if somebody has an idea for a proper solution I would be glad
> to hear it.

This is a perpetual problem with many bad solutions for big money available.
The solution depends a little on how confident you are in your network.
If your network has some reasonable bandwidth and is reasonably safe
from sniffers you can use some variation of an 'rsh' (remote shell) setup.

The key thing to remember is that, as long as the restore reads on the
same system (FreeBSD vs LINUXx vs Solaris, etc) as the dump writes, it
will work fine.  It doesn't matter which system the data originally
came from (or returns to on a restore).

So, try piping a dd on the data system through an rsh to a dump on your
backup system.
For restore take a pipe of a restore on the backup system through
an rsh to a dd on the data system.

We used to do this with various BSD and sVR4/Solaris systems with
a BSD system being the backup engine with good success - including
successful occasional restores.    In that situation we had a machine
room with fast internal net and switch, etc isolated from outside
sniffing.

////jerry