Date:      Tue, 27 May 2003 17:34:39 +0200
From:      "Simon L. Nielsen" <simon@nitro.dk>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   New build system

--4zI0WCX1RcnW9Hbu

Hello

I have been looking into giving the build system a major overhaul
(blackend, be careful what you ask for, you might get it :-) ), since I
thought it would be an interesting challenge, and I really like to get
building with OBJDIR working "the right way"...

I have some preliminary makefile support for building shared images with
the help of a makefile in doc/share/images/ and symlinks, but it is
still at an early stage.

To get an idea of what to implement/support and to actually have
documentation for the build system, when completed, I have started a
article about it.  It can be found in text version attached or at
http://simon.nitro.dk/freebsd/doc-buildsystem/article.html in HTML.

I would really like comments (suggestions, opinions, criticism,
anything) about if this is the right approach.  If you have any ideas
about other things the build system should support, please speak up on
this list, or in private mail.

Since I'm not to busy with actual reality at the moment, I actually do
expect to get this working within a reasonable time-frame, whatever that
is... :-)

--=20
Simon L. Nielsen

--4zI0WCX1RcnW9Hbu