Date:      Mon, 27 Oct 1997 13:51:00 -0500
From:      Charles Henrich <henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu>
To:        Stephen McKay <syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Perils of login.conf (Was: fsck (2.2.5-RELEASE) large filesystems broken)

On the subject of Perils of login.conf (Was: fsck (2.2.5-RELEASE) large filesystems broken), Stephen McKay stated:

> Ahem!  Well, I wouldn't be using anything more dangerous than Nerf bats
> myself, but I have been inconvenienced a couple times by login.conf.

You just havent been bitten by this as hard as I was :)  But okay, how about a
nerf assault rifle? :)

> There are some people who are very keen on it, and presumably it does
> wonderful things for them.  However, after some pain and a bit of
> reflection, I think the defaults for everything should be pushed way up,
> like the maximum that FreeBSD can take for all these knobs, and let those
> that support hundreds or thousands of users wind them back to whatever
> limits they wish to impose.
>
> If this was the case then regular users would have one less thing to worry
> about and magazine reviewers who benchmark "out of the box" would get
> sensible results.  Those who really use login.conf to impose carefully
> selected limits would be unaffected.

Hear hear!  That sounds like a perfect solution to me!

-Crh

       Charles Henrich     Michigan State University     henrich@msu.edu

                         http://pilot.msu.edu/~henrich